It is not at all surprising that yoga and aromatherapy complement each other perfectly. Both are ancient practices that focus on spiritual enlightenment. The use of essential oil blends can surely enhance the practice of yoga. You can select the type of energy you want to influence the class or yoga session. For example, lavender can be deeply relaxing. Lemongrass is energizing and stimulating. Both are very powerful and yield very different results. Through these choices, the energy can be completely changed.
Choose your oils carefully and allow the experience to be greatly enhanced. Physical, mental and emotional needs can easily be met. Exercise and essential oils can a huge benefit to your health. By using therapeutic grade essential oils with an ultrasonic aromatherapy diffuser in your yoga practice, you can become more alert, receptive, connected, grounded, centered, uplifted and present.
Essential Oil Diffuser Blends to Use During Yoga
Lori Sasiela, from teachasana.com offers a terrific breakdown of her favorite oils that can be used during savasana. As you will see from her descriptions this practice is becoming more and more widely used during yoga classes. She cautions any teacher to gain her students’ permission and to learn more about the effects of different oils used alone or in combination with others.
An easy way to start integrating essential oils into your yoga teaching is to use them during savasana. Below I am going to share my three favorite essential oils for savasana, and a variety of ways you can integrate them into your teaching.
This essential oil has a fresh, floral aroma that is soothing and refreshing. Lavender is an adaptogen, and therefore can assist the body when adapting to stress or imbalances. It induces relaxation and a winding-down.
Peace & Calming
This is a soothing and relaxing essential oil blend made by Young Living™ that includes blue tansy, patchouli, tangerine, orange, and ylang ylang. It was actually developed with the intention to calm distressed children. It promotes relaxation and a deep sense of peace and emotional well-being.
This essential oil has been used as a spiritual tool for years in ceremonies and rituals for purification, prayer and meditation. Frankincense is grounding oil and it helps slow down and balance the breath, and expands the upper chakras.
Methods of Use
- Have your students place one drop of the essential oil in the palms, rub them gently together, and then tent them over the nose, taking 3 deep inhalations before settling into savasnaa.
- Rub one drop in your palms and hold your hands, palm side down, 3-4 inches above your student’s face.
- Place one drop on the third eye.
- Mix some distilled water and essential oil(s) in a spray bottle and spray it on 1/2 a tissue before wrapping it around an eye pillow. (Make sure the 1/2 of the tissue without the spray is on the eyelids)
- Use a diffuser with one of these essential oils in the studio during savasna.
- Place one drop under the nose.
- Put a drop of the essential oil on the back of the neck.
- A drop can be placed on the bottom of the feet to encourage grounding and surrender into the earth during savasna.
Yoga diffuser blends can easily be created from these oil selections to create your ideal solution.
12 Drops of Sweet Orange
4 Drops Clove Bud
4 Drops Ylang Ylang
10 Drops Sweet Orange
4 Drops Bergamont
4 Drops Lemon
4 Drops Lime
If you are attending a class and want to take your oils with you an essential oils in a yoga mat spray can be a simple way to personalize your practice. Plantlifeworld.com recommends this alternative.
12 Drops of Tea Tree Oil
12 Drops of Lavender
60 ml of water (or witch hazel)
As always make sure to use an amber color bottle to make sure the blend is not affected by sunlight. Purchase the best essential oils you can afford so you are reaping the most reward for your effort. This spray bottle blend is a great place to start. You can play around and make your own special blend by adding in different amounts of oils.
An ultrasonic diffuser for essential oils can be a wonderful way to enhance your yoga practice space. Finding ways to incorporate them can be a perfect way to experience an uplift or become more grounded. Personalize the experience by finding the essential oils and blends that work best for you.
Read related articles:
- Guide on How to Clean an Essential Oil Diffuser
- Ultrasonic Oil Diffusers vs. Nebulizing Oil Diffusers
- Diffusing Essential Oils: There Real Health Benefits